Today we’ll walk through the process of making large trees to use in your Worship Rally decorations. Here they are on either side of the clubhouse in the large-scale decorations featured in Decorating Made Easy.
You will need:
- 2-inch-thick 4’x8′ foot panels of rigid insulation board
- 1/2-inch-thick 4’x8′ foot panels of rigid insulation board
- Tree_Templates (click on link to download)
- Digital projector
- Permanent marker
- Gorilla Tape
- Project the templates onto the appropriate foam board (marked on template). Trace and cut out with a jigsaw. Cut out the trunks and bases first, saving the slits for last.
- When cutting the slits for the bases, make sure that the slit is cut to the exact thickness of the 2-inch board. (It may not be exactly 2-inches.) We usually use the straight edge of a scrap piece of the 2-inch board to get the thickness right. NOTE: The slits marked on the templates are for reference only and are NOT drawn to scale. Do not use them to cut.
- Also, the depth of the slit on the base and trunk should be the same. The trunks have slits cut from the bottom—bases have slits cut from the top. The templates use dashed lines to show approximately where the slits overlap. That’s just to show you where they will approximately fall. Do NOT cut the dashed lines.
- Paint as desired and allow to dry completely.
- Attach the “Top Tree 1” pieces together from behind with Gorilla Tape.
- Slide the trunks into the bases to be freestanding. Move into place in Worship Rally area.
- Pin and/or tape the tree tops to the tree trunks.