Exactly! October is a perfect time to begin preparation for VBS 2015. VBS 2014 is not yet a distant memory and the rush and crush of the holidays have not reached the all-consuming stage. It's a great time to both express appreciation to the workers who made VBS 2014 possible and at the same time jump into the art of introducing the theme and goals for next summer.
This is why the name of the Jump Start Kit is so appropriate and why it is released in October. It's time to jump start dreaming, planning, and promoting Journey Off the Map VBS 2015.
You noticed I wrote, "VBS 2014 is not yet a distant memory." Events such as VBS should be a new creation every year, but events can benefit greatly by building off of the good, bad, and ugly of the previous year. If you haven't already done so, now is a good time to revisit VBS 2014 and use what you learned as a starting point for your best VBS ever. Here are a few ways to get started.
1. Ensure your 2014 workers feel valued and appreciated. Enlistment for 2015 will be much more successful if workers feel their work this year was noticed, valued, and appreciated. "Thank You" are powerful words and the Fall season (Thanksgiving) is an excellent time to say thanks one more time.
2. Now is also a good time to make sure the congregation hears and celebrates the success stories of VBS 2014. If you have not already done so, report your VBS numbers. Be sure to tell a story of how VBS impacted the lives of kids and families in your community.
3. During the next few days take time to evaluate VBS 2014. Even if you evaluated immediately after your event your view of the week today will have a totally different perspective - possibly much more positive now that the initial frustrations and exhaustion of the week are behind you.
4. Take another look at the 2014 budget and how the dollars were used. Now is a good time to make adjustments to your 20215 budget.
5. If church polity and practice allows, enlist your key leadership team now. Begin praying together, planning together, and training together.
6. Take time now to dream how you might do things differently during VBS 2015. Make notes that you can return to after the holidays.
Join the conversation! How will you jump start planning for VBS 2015?