The best VBS leaders are learners, and the best learners enjoy sharing with others what they have learned through trial and error. Following are words of advice that have been collected through the years from great leader-learners just like you.
- Establish limits on reimbursements for teachers purchasing their own supplies.
- Decorate fewer rooms but use each room more often. Assign two groups to the same room and rotate them in and out. This will save on classroom supplies as well.
- Start planning and gathering supplies early to take advantage of sales.
- Purchase snacks you are sure the kids will eat and enjoy instead of trashing food kids refuse to eat.
- Purchase classroom supplies the previous year at back-to-school sales.
- Create a bulletin board with note cards, each listing a needed supply such as a bottle of glue or a dozen pencils. Encourage church members to remove cards as they choose items to purchase. By listing one item per card members on limited budgets will be encouraged to participate as well. Place a collection box near the display to make it easy for members to deliver their donations.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: What advice do you have concerning cutting VBS costs?