Worker enlistment is often one of the most challenging aspects of planning VBS. While we wish for a quick and easy way to accomplish this task, the truth is, it takes work. As LifeWay's VBS team celebrates 90 years of producing VBS curriculum, I've been searching through the files for tips that are just as relevant today as they were when first shared.
Following are six tips from a 1997 training session led by long-time VBS leader Carr Suter.
- The Pastor must stress the importance of VBS and call for response from the pulpit.
- A VBS decision day in worship service, calling for public response, will magnify the need for workers.
- Promotional material in the church bulletin and church paper will keep the needs before members.
- Be specific in publicizing needs. Ask for a “teacher for first graders," not just for “workers.”
- Divide the entire church roll into sections and give department directors portions to call.
- Give directors an adult class roll to call.