When faced with a logistical challenge such as space, scheduling, or lack of workers, step back and look for a solution instead of obsessing over the obstacle.
WHEN SPACE IS A CHALLENGE
- Combine age groups
- Reduce the age-span offered at a particular time (children in the morning, teens at night)
- Look for temporary options such as campers or large tents
- Rotate leaders into one room instead of kids into multiple rooms
- Consider using Backyard Kids Club resources which are designed for multi-age groups of approximately 20 kids
WHEN SCHEDULING IS A CHALLENGE
- Look for nontraditional times such as Spring or Fall breaks
- Consider using the material for a themed summer program for Wednesday or Sunday nights
- Combine the material with another event such as a day camp
WHEN LACK OF WORKERS IS A CHALLENGE
- Provide training for responsible teenagers and pair them as helpers with adult teachers
- Partner with a neighboring church
- Check with your association office early in the year for the availability of summer missionaries or mission teams
What solutions have turned your obstacles into victories? We would love for you to join the conversation.