Over 50% of Vacation Bible Schools register 100 (including workers) or fewer. This means the majority of schools can be classified as a Double Digit VBS.
LifeWay’s recent VBS Previews included a breakout session titled VBS in the Double Digit Church. Following are ideas shared during the session.
- Enlist Sunday School classes to financially sponsor specific needs such as crafts, snacks, or curriculum.
- Ask classes to bring specific craft, snack, or supply items.
- Challenge classes to meet the financial needs of one day of the VBS week or one day of snacks.
- Hold a resource fair following a morning service. Display samples of craft and snack supplies that will be needed. Encourage members of the congregation to select an item to sponsor or donate.
- Conduct an old-fashioned church pounding or supply Sunday. I remember my home church having specific Sundays for sugar, lemon juice, fruit punch drink mix, and cookies.
- Inventory supply closets well in advance to insure you are not purchasing supplies that are already in abundance.
- Focus decorations on one area such as the stage instead of attempting to decorate every room.
- Be creative with the resources provided in leader packs. Use them as decorations throughout the week.
- Enlist older kids and teens to attend a decorations days to create murals. Cover walls with paper, provide markers and paint, provide a few ideas and then give permission for creativity to run wild.
- Get the men of the church involved by turning decorations over to them.
- Challenge yourself to be creative with simple, inexpensive decorations such as balloons and crepe paper.
- Look through closets and store rooms for decorative items that can be repurposed.
- Contact local schools and teachers to see what resources they might have that can be borrowed and returned.
- Partner with other churches to create and share decorations that will be used multiple churches.
- Contact a local association of churches about available decorations.
Stay tuned next Thursday for more ideas.