Adult VBS provides an excellent opportunity for extended and in-depth Bible study. It is a teacher’s dream to have 10 to 15 hours of classroom time in the span of five days to take students deep into the Scriptures. However, it is important to realize adults respond to a variety of learning activities just like kids do.
VBS provides an opportunity to use a variety of teaching styles including crafts, recreation, and music. Lecture is a valuable way to impart knowledge, but so is Scriptural application discovered through rhythm, physical activity, contemplation, and relationships.
Here are six reasons for insuring your adult VBS is a well-rounded learning opportunity.
Crafts, recreation, and worship:
- Creates an atmosphere of informality, removes barriers between strangers, and provides an opportunity to draw out shy and hesitant participants.
- Builds community. Adults are given an opportunity to get to know each and build relationships.
- Gives the teacher an opportunity to know his audience in ways he will never experience in a typical adult Bible study setting.
- Reinforces the Bible lesson. Every activity of VBS is designed to point to the theme and Scripture of the day.
- Provides ministry opportunities as needs are discovered.
- Reinforces the reality that adult learning and church can be fun.
Join the conversation: how do you incorporate crafts, recreation, and worship in your adult VBS?