You just never know what you are going to learn at our VBS Preview Events! This past January, I got to hear Kelli McAnally share some creative ways to use the kid’s activity paks with preschoolers. Kelli wrote the 15-page storybooks for the VBS 2013 Kid’s Activity Pak: Babies–2s and the VBS 2013 Kid’s Activity Pak: 3s–Kindergarten.
- Act out the book—kids choose colored craft sticks to determine which character they will be.
- Match colors in the book—kids draw pieces of colored paper out of the VBS 2014 Inflatable Coaster Car.
- Match letters and words—match foam letters, clothespins with letters, or tiles with letters to those in the book. Easy words (such as “God”) also can be matched.
- Listen for a word—kids clap or raise hands when they hear the word.
- Make up a finger play or hand motions.
- Create cards with review questions on one side and answers on the back. Use with a flip chute.
- Record the book on your phone—Play the tape while kids follow along in the book.
- Put the story in order—talk about what happened first, next, and so on.
- Make a flap book using sticky notes.
- Count items—use craft sticks to tally.
Kelli also gave us some great tips for reading with preschoolers.
- If preschoolers are on the floor, you should sit on the floor.
- Hold the book so kids can see it as you read.
- Encourage children to talk about the pictures during the reading.
- Allow a child to turn the pages.
- Guide children to ask questions about the book.
- Respect the child who chooses to look at the book alone.
- Provide time after a book is read for kids to respond to the plot and characters of the book.
- Read a book many times for kids to connect with the characters.
- Encourage children to play out the story from a book.
- Allow a younger child to skip around in the book if he wants.
Thanks, Kelli, for the books you’ve written and for teaching us how to use them!
Happy reading with your kids at Colossal Coaster World!