As cooler weather approaches, it’s time to officially say goodbye to In the Wild VBS and hello to Concrete & Cranes. But before we do, I think it’s appropriate to take time to celebrate what the Lord has done. God continues to have His hand on VBS and uses it to change hearts and expand His kingdom in incredible ways. We can celebrate that nearly 2.4 million people participated in VBS, and more than 59,000 kids, students, and adults placed their faith in Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord! I hope you will join me in praising God for what He is doing in the hearts and lives of people around the world through VBS! Thank you for being a part of this important work! It’s so worth it!
by: Bethany Brown
Production Editor | LifeWay VBS
Every year, we hear churches say follow up after VBS is one of their greatest challenges. It may be easy to invite someone to a special event like VBS, but to continue to reach out to them afterwards is always harder. So we wanted to give you some tips for continuing your impact on families and kids long after VBS is over.
There are two awesome products that can help with this goal. The first is the VBS 2019 Parent Guide. I had the privilege of editing the Parent Guide this year, so I can say firsthand that this guide offers a variety of activities and tips that can help families connect to Scripture.
But what about unchurched families? Can they use the Parent Guide? Yes! The guide includes a gospel presentation and a short letter to parents, explaining why Bible reading together as a family is so important. Part of the letter says, “research shows reading the Bible regularly as a kid is the most important factor for growing up to be a spiritually healthy adult.” Many parents who aren’t sure about God or the church may still connect with the idea of raising spiritually healthy kids. Try dropping by and explaining the purpose of this guide from that perspective as you give the guide as a “thank you for coming” gift. We’ll pray along with you that as families open God’s Word, God will speak to them and draw them toward Himself.
The guide is split into three sections. The first section walks families through the Bible content for “In the Wild” with a guide for how to study the Bible together and questions to answer as a family to help reflect on what they’ve read. Section 2 includes activities and practical ways families may encounter Jesus and each other in everyday life, divided by different locations such as their home, their community, and anywhere else they may travel! This is closely followed by section 3, with questions and discussion starters families can use any time or place to engage with Scripture, God’s creation, and each other.
A great companion for the Parent Guide is the Kids Gospel Guide. This fun, camera-shaped card has a slide out panel that unfolds the gospel plan before kids’ eyes, while pretending to print out cute animal photos. Every kid who attended your VBS can benefit from one of these, either as a way to teach and reinforce gospel truths or as a tool they can use to share the gospel with their friends.
Kids love mail addressed to them! Consider compiling a list of all kids who attended your VBS, or at least visitors and prospects, and mailing each one a copy of the Kids Gospel Guide. Include a note thanking them for coming to VBS and inviting them back to Sunday School and church.
How do you connect with families for follow-up once VBS is done? We’d love to hear in the comments!
If you are the VBS Director, what are some of the first things you need? That’s exactly what we asked ourselves when we first started offering the VBS Jump Start Kit several years ago. It was designed to give directors a jump start on VBS planning. And it was available before most VBS products even made it to the warehouse!
However, as we’ve listened to churches, it became clear that the name needed to be just that—CLEAR! So, if you are used to the name VBS Jump Start Kit, the same helpful resources are now going to be found under a new name—the VBS Directors Kit.
What does a VBS Director need?
- Administrative Guide — The best “tool kit” ever for new or experienced directors! Easy step-by-step instructions guide you to a well-organized VBS with purpose.
- Decorating Made Easy with DVD-ROM — Give your decorating MORE POWER with this multi-purpose resource packed with ideas from the simplest options to details for creating the amazing decorations featured in the VBS catalog and decorating videos.
- VBS Catalog — Wow, there’s a lot of stuff! Thumb through the colorful pages to discover a wide variety of resources, then select those that fit your needs and your budget.
- Jump Start Poster — Available only in the Directors Kit, this two-sided poster can be used as a “Save the Date” poster (side 1) or as a “VBS Volunteer Training” announcement poster (side 2).
- Music — Of course you want to hear the latest music written just for this VBS! So a Music for Kids CD and a Music for Preschoolers CD is included.
- And more! In addition to samples of the Activity Books (take-home pieces), VBS Directors will also discover a couple of fun VBS accessories designed just for them, the DIRECTOR.
The VBS 2020 Directors Kit is available for pre-order now! (PS, it’s a REAL tool bag too!) Click HERE to reserve yours!