There are so many great snack options for VBS In the Wild. I thought you might like a sneak peek of one of my favorites—Puffy Penguins. They’re so cute! Hope you enjoy! For more snack ideas and recipes, grab your copy of the VBS 2019 Snack Rotation Recipe Cards. Available now at lifeway.com and your local Lifeway Store.
Serving Size: Two penguins are one serving.
- Large marshmallows (1 per penguin)
- Edible candy eyes (2 per penguin)
- M&M’s® (1 per 2 penguins)
- Chocolate chips (2 cups should make around 20 penguins)
- Microwaveable bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment or waxed paper
Chocolate may not be reheated. You may choose to use black candy melts instead, and those can be reheated.
- Place one cup of chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each 30 second period.
- Watch the chocolate, and do not overheat the melting mixture.
- Dip each marshmallow in the melted chocolate, leaving one area of the marshmallow white to serve as the penguin’s stomach.
- Place the end of the marshmallow with less chocolate on the paper.
- Repeat with the remaining marshmallows then put in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set.
- Cut the M&M’s in half while the marshmallows are setting up.
- Melt ½ cup of chocolate following the method in step 3.
- Remove penguins from the refrigerator. Place penguins on their sides, and dip each candy eye in the melted chocolate and place them on the “face” of the penguin. Do the same with the halved M&M and secure it to the penguin’s face.
- Place penguins in the refrigerator once again to set. If you do not serve them immediately, store them in an airtight container.