September may seem a little early to begin planning your VBS17 Family Night or VBS Celebration, however it is not too early to start thinking about what you hope is accomplished as a result of the night. While the evening is certainly an opportunity to celebrate the week and introduce parents to the VBS experience, the evening must also be viewed as an opportunity for intentional outreach.
VBS Celebration might be the only time an unchurched parent will enter the door of your church building. What do you want that parent to experience? How do you want that parent to respond? What are you doing to insure your VBS Celebration meets and exceeds those expectations?
It is not too early
to start thinking about what you hope
is accomplished as a result of the night.
VBS Celebration needs to be a celebration, but even more it needs to intentionally connect unchurched families with the gospel and with the church. Here are 10 tips to get you started.
- Determine the purpose then stay focused on it.
- Remember that all families do not look alike so be ready to embrace the diversity of single-parent families, blended families, and families parented by grandparents.
- Avoid conflicts with school, community, and church calendars.
- Communicate date and time early so families have time to put it on their calendars.
- Promote. Promote. Promote. Early and often.
- Have a Plan A and a Plan B.
- Don’t wait until the last minute for anything.
- Confirm. Confirm. Confirm.
- Don’t assume anything!
- Don’t do it by yourself.