The best VBS leaders are learners, and the best learners enjoy sharing with others what they have learned through trial and error. Today’s advice comes from Vicki Hulsey, Childhood Education Specialist, Tennessee Baptist Convention. Vicki helped develop, test, and train others to use LifeWay’s Backyard Kids Club resources.
Acts 1:8 teaches that we are to share the Gospel everywhere and that begins in our own neighborhoods! Backyard Kids Club is an opportunity to take VBS off your church campus and to a location where people can be reached who would not normally come to a church building. Following are six successful tools our church has used in reaching our communities through Backyard Kids Club.
- Conduct a Kickoff Event to pre-enroll neighborhood kids and to build excitement for Backyard Kids Club.
- Pray before, during, and after Backyard Kids Club that children and families will to come to know Jesus as Savior and Lord.
- Provide an opportunity for parents to share the excitement of Backyard Kids Club by hosting a Celebration event that includes food, BKC music, games, and an opportunity for leaders to engage in conversations with parents.
- Follow up with kids and their families, sharing information about your church. Be sure to including upcoming events for kids and families.
- Connect with kids who made a decision to accept Christ. Consider offering a New Christians Class at the same location as your Backyard Kids Club.
- Plan one or more simple events during the year to build relationships with neighborhood children and their families.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: How has Backyard Kids Clubs helped your church reach your community?