The best VBS leaders are learners, and the best learners enjoy sharing with others what they have learned through trial and error. Today’s advice comes from Arizona’s own Kelli McAnally who writes and trains extensively for Lifeway’s VBS resources.
- Start simple. Whether teaching a Bible phrase or motions to a song, start with the basics and build on it throughout the week.
- Follow a routine. Preschoolers like to know what is coming up next. Make a visual schedule for them to follow throughout the day so they know what to expect.
- Keep truths foundational. Teach Bible stories, truths, and life application that are age appropriate for preschoolers.
- Let them play. Remember that preschoolers learn through play. Let them use their hands and bodies to learn truths.
- Get the wiggles out. Periodically allow preschoolers to jump, squirm, march, and move their bodies. Movement will help preschoolers focus.
- Build in plenty of restroom and water breaks. Allow time for preschoolers to use the restroom, when needed. Play games such as “I Spy” or “Name 3 Things that Fly” as you walk to and from restroom.
- Pray. Pray for the preschoolers and their families that they will hear the truths about Jesus during VBS!
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: What advice do you have for working with preschoolers during VBS?