One standard of LifeWay's VBS that makes it so successful as an evangelistic outreach is training. Even if we have been working in VBS since forever, annual training sharpens our skills and increases our knowledge, resulting in increased confidence, renewed enthusiasm, and relevant ways to engage new generations. Annual training challenges us to abandon the status quo and reach beyond our comfort zones, which is one of the reasons there is a direct correlation between the number of workers trained and the number of professions of faith.
When the number of workers trained increases the number of professions of faith tends to increase. In some areas of the United States statistics show that for every person participating in a training event there is 1.1 professions of faith reported. While a group training event (such as a local associational or regional state workshop) tends to be most effective, it becomes more challenging each year for workers to set aside a Saturday morning or weeknight to attend such training. As a result it is important to provide training at times and in ways that are accessible for every worker - including the person who only has an available hour at 3:00 AM.
LifeWay’s VBS team, including an army of 5,000 volunteers spread across North America, is committed to making sure training is available for every VBS worker. It takes a variety of methods to make this happen including the following:
- Training plans for church-led training for age-group leaders printed in the Administrative Guide for Directors.
- Guidance for sharing the Gospel printed on the inside cover of all leader guides.
- Age-specific training and tips printed in all leader guides.
- Training videos for music leaders included in Worship Rally and Music Rotation resources.
- Decorating instructions printed in Decorating Made Easy and free video demonstration online here.
- Online training for kids ministry and VBS leadership (www.ministrygrid.com).
- January Preview events in North Carolina, Texas, and Tennessee.
- State and Associational training - beginning as early as October (contact the Southern Baptist association or state convention nearest you).
- LifeWay's Kids Ministry Conference in Nashville October 6-8.
- Posts found right here throughout the year, including every posts in April.
Join the conversation. How do you make training a VBS Priority?