Naming VBS 2014. Here’s how it went down:
1. Prayer – here’s a quote from a guy named unknown – “Prayer does not enable us to do the greater works, prayer IS the greater works.” We pray a lot.
2. Ideation – folks from all over the country gathered at LifeWay to “ideate” VBS themes. Three ideas rose to the top.
3. Splitting into three teams, we hammered out the details—proposing titles, biblical content, rotation site/names, activities, snacks, decorations, etc…
4. Each team did a presentation for the other teams.
5. We prayed. We voted – but we’re still far from a decision.
6. Theme ideas vetted by pastors, children’s ministers, etc… again folks outside the LifeWay walls.
7. Finally, a vote. A decision is made!
8. “…but that theme doesn’t really have a strong name” – “…it just doesn’t seem to say what this theme is really about—given what the Bible content is.” – “Can we talk about the title again?”
And talk we did. For several weeks. I’ve worked in VBS since Kingdom Caper and we’ve never been this far into the creative process and not had a name.
9. We met to decide on name.
10. We met again to decide on a name.
11. We invited more people and met again to decide on a name.
12. We met again. …and again, and again.
13. VBS 2014 writer’s conference comes and goes. Still no title.
Sometimes, waiting is tough but we know, deep down, God has things well in hand. We keep praying.
14. We met again – maybe even one more time, I can’t remember – and finally, like a phoenix rising from the ashes of countless other fallen titles, the VBS 2014 Title emerged!!!
15. We continue to pray as it goes to legal – both inside and outside counsel have to approve it.
16. We get the “all clear” and we’re good to go! WE HAVE A TITLE!
So, without further ado, the official, signed, sealed, delivered title of VBS 2014 is…
Stay tuned! You’re gonna love it!!